On 10/08/2010, at 11:44 AM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 10. August 2010 schrieb Paul Hartman:
>
>> Typing that long password into sudo every time I ran a command was a
>> hassle
>
> I’ve never used sudo, and never really liked the idea of it. In fact I’m
> always amused and slightly annoyed by the sheer amount of sudo one can find
> in
> your typical ubuntu howto. ;-)
>
> It’s one reason why I abstained from installing Truecrypt 6, because it
> requires sudo (Yes I know, in default setup you can’t do much with it. It is
> but an issue of principle). However, because I need root commands regularly
> (for example to initiate the VPN to my uni’s WiFi), I usually have one tab in
> Yakuake where I do a normal su once after login.
>
> And for more safety on my part, I also use different prompts: red hostname
> for
> root console, green u...@hostname for nonroot.
> --
> Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
> What’s right is right, otherwise it’d be wrong.

I hope you realise the use of "sudo -i" will give you a root shell just like
su. The reason sudo is preferred is that it means between multiple
administrators, you can eliminate the need for a shared password. sudo can also
control who and what groups can access sudo, and even subsets of commands.

sudo also has a "grace timer" in which once you prove your identity with your
password once, you can use sudo without a password for a period of time after
that. This can also be canceled with sudo -k

In terms of system administration best practices, sudo is the way to go. You
will see it used in all server administration tasks to escalate privileges, in
a secure manner.

William Brown

pgp.mit.edu