Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2010-09-30, Darren Kirby<bulli...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>  wrote:

I can understand that things like example code blocks or sample
command input/output blocks might need to be wide enough to require
horizontal scrolling of a browser window, but normal text paragraphs
with 160 characters per line?
I'm not seeing a problem here. Sure, the lines are long but my screen
is large and my resolution is high. A quick play with firefox and konq
shows that the text reformats itself quite elegantly when you resize
your browser window to say, 2/3 of screen width.
I'm using firefox, and the text doesn't reformat for me.  I just end
up with a change in the size of the horizontal scrollbar.  Are you
sure you're looking at the same pages I was talking about?

   http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1

The link above works fine although a bit wide.  No horizontal scrollbar.

   http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2

This one has a horizontal scrollbar but only adjust about a half inch or so. It almost fits.

I think that's a better solution than imposing some arbitrary line
length on everyone no matter their screen size and resolution.
Yes, that would be fine if, in fact, it worked.  But it doesn't.

What I notice is this, if I narrow Seamonkey, the horizontal scroll bar appears even when ti should be able to shorten the line lengths and fit everything on the page. I don't claim to know much about web design so I don't know if this is the code on the page or the way Seamonkey is choosing to display it.

Dale

:-)  :-)