101028 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Harry Putnam did opine thusly:
>> Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> writes:
>>> From my notes, having done it on  2  desktops machines +  1  netbook :
>>>   To remove Hal : drop '-hal' flag, add 'udev' flag ;
>> So no kind of hal flag in make.conf
> or is `-hal' a typo that should be `drop 'hal' flag?

Yes, it's my own note to myself & reads wrongly for anyone else.
My 'make.conf' has

  USE="-* ... gtk2 handbook ... " (ordered alphabetically)

which means it does have "-hal", ie it drops 'hal'.

> I wouldn't advise putting -hal in make.conf - that's globally
> and too many other things on the desktop still need it.

Not on my machines.  I have used the "-* ... " approach for some years.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca