On 12/03/2010 05:38 PM, Dale wrote:
> masterprometheus wrote:
>
> Thanks for confirming that the coolers will fit.  I did some googling
> but it just wasn't making sense to me yet.  I found a site later on that
> said most coolers used different "adapters" to work with different
> sockets if needed.  That helped me figure out some of it.
>
> Picking another mobo was a good idea.  I actually ended up picking this
> one:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675

That's a black-box CPU, not OEM.  It includes a heatsink/fan.  As far as
I known, AMD heatsinks are fine for normal usage.  You're not getting a
high-end board so I assume you're not trying to tax the hell out of the
CPU.  You should be fine with that.

> That is a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 which is a bit better.  I'll
> have to figure out a way to get my UPS, which uses a serial port, to
> work but I *think* I still have a serial to USB adapter around here
> somewhere.  I'm going to have to cross that bridge one of these days.

I have the AMD2+ version of that motherboard and it has a legacy serial
header just like it has a legacy floppy connector.  You just need to get
a cable.  Looking at the picture on NewEgg there seems to be a COMMA
plug in the upper right corner of the motherboard.  You'd need to pull
the manual from Gigabyte to be sure.