John Campbell wrote:
On 12/03/2010 05:38 PM, Dale wrote:
masterprometheus wrote:

Thanks for confirming that the coolers will fit.  I did some googling
but it just wasn't making sense to me yet.  I found a site later on that
said most coolers used different "adapters" to work with different
sockets if needed.  That helped me figure out some of it.

Picking another mobo was a good idea.  I actually ended up picking this
one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
That's a black-box CPU, not OEM.  It includes a heatsink/fan.  As far as
I known, AMD heatsinks are fine for normal usage.  You're not getting a
high-end board so I assume you're not trying to tax the hell out of the
CPU.  You should be fine with that.

I run folding in the winter so I will be running the heck out of the CPU at least. ;-) Folding helps heat the place up a little bit. I couldn't find a OEM version of that CPU tho. I used the list of supported CPU's from Gigabytes site.

That is a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 which is a bit better.  I'll
have to figure out a way to get my UPS, which uses a serial port, to
work but I *think* I still have a serial to USB adapter around here
somewhere.  I'm going to have to cross that bridge one of these days.
I have the AMD2+ version of that motherboard and it has a legacy serial
header just like it has a legacy floppy connector.  You just need to get
a cable.  Looking at the picture on NewEgg there seems to be a COMMA
plug in the upper right corner of the motherboard.  You'd need to pull
the manual from Gigabyte to be sure.

Thanks for that. I'll look into that when I get it in. I usually go over a new mobo with a magnifying glass anyway to see what all is on there. They always have that disclaimer that products are subject to change ya know. ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)