masterprometheus wrote:
Dale wrote:

Thanks for confirming that the coolers will fit.  I did some googling
but it just wasn't making sense to me yet.  I found a site later on
that
said most coolers used different "adapters" to work with different
sockets if needed.  That helped me figure out some of it.

Picking another mobo was a good idea.  I actually ended up picking this
one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
This is a retail product, it will come with a cooling device. If you're
not going to overclock it will be sufficient and you won't need to pay
for an HSF. However, some third party coolers produce much less noise if
that's a consideration.

I know but I can't find a OEM version. As I posted in another reply, I used the supported CPU list from Gigabytes site to pick this CPU. VERY open to a OEM version tho.

That is a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 which is a bit better.
A good board and choice.

Good to know.  I don't need, and can't afford, bleeding edge hardware.

I'll
have to figure out a way to get my UPS, which uses a serial port, to
work but I *think* I still have a serial to USB adapter around here
somewhere.  I'm going to have to cross that bridge one of these days.
Your motherboard includes a serial port header. The only thing you need
is a port like this one :

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3543&sku=09480#

Thanks for the link. If the mobo does have that when it gets here, I'll be ordering that. I need one anyway since dial-up is my back-up connection to the net. I hope it never comes to that tho. Sort of hooked on DSL now. lol

This mobo is not as new as the Gigabyte you linked to but the one I
posted above is in my budget.  I actually blew my budget and may end up
spending a little more than planed.  I forgot the the new way for
drives
is to use SATA instead of IDE.  I had to add a DVD burner that was SATA
This board supports up to 2 PATA devices. I guess you already had some
PATA devices.

It does have one connection but I'm wanting to go ahead and go SATA all the way if I can. I may hook up a old hard drive that is IDE one day, maybe as a rescue or something. I plan to continue using my old rig to run folding at least.

and also had to get some Artic Silver since I can't find my other tube
from years ago.

I'll take the opportunity to say this again.  The new Cooler Master
case
is HUGE.  lol
Which coolermaster you picked ? Good luck.

I picked this monster:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

I got it in already and it is nice, especially compared to my old case.

Dale

:-)  :-)