> Tradition is a much better reason to keep things the same. You need someone
> make the change. Which is more than just move /usr/portage to /var or
> wherever
> you want it to be (and first: get consent about where to put it). No, you
> have
> to update documentation, make sure that there are not old, broken tools and
> apps that won't get confused etc pp.
> As long as nobody steps up to do it - why even bother? Most people don't
> care
> about it. Those who do can set PORTDIR wherever they want and can live
> happily
> ever after.

All questions that involve limited resources should take into account the
consequence of the diversion of those resources.

No doubt the devs have a priority list of stuff to do. Remember that if they
were to focus on this issue, that means there would be something else that
they're not doing. So, given that the change is non-trivial for the reasons
Volker lists, is this the best way to utilise their limited resources? I
dont have an option either way due to my ignorance on the subject, but lets
keep in mind the full consequences.