On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Fernando Meira wrote:

Hi Tero,
what I meant with "redo my partitions" was in the way that I will expand my gentoo partition (or try to).
I have:
# df -h
/dev/hda4 4.6G 3.8G 803M 83% /
^^ *might* be enough for a minimal system, but not for your compiles or distfiles.

udev 252M 808K 252M 1% /dev
^^ Why a separate partition for /dev? This is complete waste. Especially with that size.

/dev/hda5 23G 20G 3.3G 86% /mnt/share
^^ You'll *never* need that much space in here. Do not have this on a separate partition. Maybe you could make this partition your /home ?

/dev/hda1 9.8G 8.0G 1.8G 82% /mnt/windows
^^ Complete waste ;)

none 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm

It is up to you how to rearrange them but I suggest that you have only these partitions for Gentoo:

/boot
/
/home (optional but recommended)
(+swap)

what are the advantages of pointing PORTAGE_TMPDIR and DISTDIR to other partitions?

The idea is, ofcourse, to give your compiles and distfiles more room. This in turn would free up space for your system.

thanks for the localepurge tip:
- Total disk space freed by localepurge: 48448K (not bad ;)

Yeah, it's great. BTW, check out the 'userlocales' USE flag for glibc too. It will speed up the compilation and save some space.

--
T.G.