* Michael Sullivan <msulli1...@gmail.com> [110526 14:40]:
> A couple of days ago I applied via etc-update a new init script and conf
> file for dovecot.  Now I cannot get local LAN mail from it.  I was
> previously able to.  My current dovecot version info is:
>
> carter ~ # emerge -pv dovecot

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild   R   ] net-mail/dovecot-2.0.11  USE="berkdb bzip2 doc ipv6 ldap
> maildir mysql pam ssl zlib -caps -cydir -kerberos -managesieve -mbox
> -mdbox -postgres -sdbox -sieve -sqlite -suid -vpopmail" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>
>  * IMPORTANT: 3 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
>  * Use eselect news to read news items.
>
> The /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf file is as such:
[..]
> #listen = *, ::

What's the exact problem you're having?  No response?  Error response
from dovecot?

Do you see dovecot listening?

Do a 'netstat -a -t | egrep imap' and see if there's any output.

If it's not listening on *:imap (say on 127.0.0.1:imap for example)
then you probably want the 'listen = *' in your config file.

Is dovecot complaining in the logs?

When you emerge a new dovecot you need to restart it
(/etc/init.d/dovecot restart) or else you'll get errors with the
client/server communication as well.

Todd