On 6/23/2011 8:31 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:54:14 -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:

It's one package (cantor) that has one dependency (R) that is optional
(USE=-R) that falls squarely into the "if you aren't sure if you need it
then you probably don't" category. So for most users, no, you don't need
to build gcc with fortran.

That's not the only one. Digikam has a hard depend on clapack, which
requires virtual/blas and thus a Fortran compiler.

Hrm. I installed kde-meta and it didn't pull in Digikam. But I don't remember turning it off (though I would have). I have a completely unreasonable and unjustifiable dislike for FORTRAN so I go out of my way to keep it off my system :)