On Sunday, September 11 at 18:54 (-0500), Dale said:

> I think I saw it mentioned on -dev that some time shortly /usr
> and /var
> will be needed on / or you will need the init* thingy to boot.
> That's
> was my understanding of this mess.  So, if you are about to do a
> install
> that needs /var on its own partition, I would ask a dev to see how
> you
> should plan.  I could have misunderstood but I'm pretty sure it's
> coming.  It may also depend on what you are going to be running too.
> mention because no need doing it one way now and having to fix it
> later.  That sucks!
>
> That said, I have /var on its own partition and mine boots fine,
> although I haven't rebooted in a week or so.  I don't think the
> change
> has happened yet but is coming.  I may have a different answer in a
> month or so.  ;-)
>
> Dale

Hmm, that doesn't smell right to me.  What I think you may have heard is
about /run.  systemd and some other things are preferring to
move /var/run to /run.  The reason being is that /var does not have to
be on the root fs.  sysdemd needs /run early (before mounting
filesystems) so the idea was to put /var/run on the rootfs, thus /run.

I don't think /usr should or ever will be required to be on the rootfs.
That's just dumb.  The reason we have /bin /sbin, etc. is so that /usr
need not be on the rootfs.  It doesn't make sense to change that well
known/established notion.

See also the FHS.