On 9/11/2011 8:28 PM, Albert W. Hopkins wrote:

On Sunday, September 11 at 18:54 (-0500), Dale said:

I think I saw it mentioned on -dev that some time shortly /usr
and /var
will be needed on / or you will need the init* thingy to boot.

Hmm, that doesn't smell right to me.  What I think you may have heard is
about /run.  systemd and some other things are preferring to
move /var/run to /run.  The reason being is that /var does not have to
be on the root fs.  sysdemd needs /run early (before mounting
filesystems) so the idea was to put /var/run on the rootfs, thus /run.

I don't think /usr should or ever will be required to be on the rootfs.
That's just dumb.  The reason we have /bin /sbin, etc. is so that /usr
need not be on the rootfs.  It doesn't make sense to change that well
known/established notion.

Nope, Dale is exactly correct. If the upcoming changes to udev make it into Gentoo unaltered and unscathed, it will become necessary to have essentially your full system available very early in the boot process -- at least as early as when udev runs. This includes /usr, where I believe the udev scripts and libraries are being moved, and anything that any program in those scripts might access, which almost definitely includes /var.

Any setup where only / is mounted when udev's device population happens will become "unsupported" (if not "impossible").

The proposed alternative to a single huge partition is to use an initramfs that mounts your separate /usr (and /var) very early in the boot process.

--Mike