On Friday 16 Sep 2011 11:56:03 Pandu Poluan wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2011 5:37 PM, "Dale" <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> The basic idea is you set the boot drive in the bios and which runs grub
> >> from that drive's mbr. When you installed that grub you hard-coded it
> >> to know where to find it's grub.conf.
> >>
> >> You can use the existing grub and it's config files just fine. Add a
> >> new entry for your new stuff on sdb - grub will reference that drive as
> >> (hd1) in grub.conf - and configure the root, kernel and initrd
> >> settings appropriately.
> >>
> >> If I were you I'd install grub to the mbr on sdb as well. If you happen
> >> to switch sda and sdb around, you'll still have code to boot from on
> >> the new first drive and not need to change the boot drive settings in
> >> the bios. It's not a necessity, just a convenience.
> >
> > That's what I was thinking.  Now that I got that straight in my head.
>
>  Moooooving on.
>
> > I was wanting to play with reiserfs4.  Where in the heck is the command?
>
>  I have this:
> > root@fireball / # mk << tab twice >>
> > mk_cmds           mke2fs            mkfs              mkfs.ext3
>
> mkfs.msdos        mkhybrid          mkmanifest        mkswap
>
> > mkdir             mkfifo            mkfs.bfs          mkfs.ext4
>
> mkfs.reiserfs     mk_isdnhwdb       mknod             mktap
>
> > mkdiskimage       mkfontdir         mkfs.cramfs       mkfs.ext4dev
>
>  mkfs.vfat         mkisofs           mkpasswd          mktap-2.7
>
> > mkdosfs           mkfontscale       mkfs.ext2         mkfs.minix
>
>  mkhomedir_helper  mklost+found      mkreiserfs        mktemp
>
> > root@fireball / #
> >
> > I have reiserfs3 but I can't find 4.  I didn't see anything in the man
>
> page either.  I thought it may be a option like -j for ext2 or 3.
>

> IIRC, you must emerge reiser4.
>
> Try eix reiser

You will need to patch your kernel (in your sdb test OS) and then you will
also need to make a reiser4 fs on your sdb partition(s) (for that you'll need
to emerge sys-fs/reiser4progs).

If you want to be able to mount reiser4 from within your sda OS, you will need
of course to patch your current kernel to start with, alternatively use a
LiveCD like sysrescue which comes already patched.  For patches look in here:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/edward/reiser4/reiser4-for-2.6/

The way I do what you are trying to do is start with the existing OS on sda,
partition sdb, tar contents of sda partitions into corresponding sdb
partitions and then modify fstab.

Depending on what you want to test you may not need grub installed into sdb's
MBR and you may not need a /boot in sdb.  As long as you are not going to
remove sda from the machine you should be able to add a couple of lines in the
original grub.conf to select to boot /dev/sdb, while using sda's MBR and /boot
partition.

HTH.
--
Regards,