On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 15:24:39 -0400
Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > BTW, there *was* an standard that did everything dbus does: ORB, the
> > Object Request Broker. They tried to use that as IPC years ago, but
> > is so damn complicated to implement right they decided to better
> > implement a new standard. The standard is dbus.
>
> Interesting. I'd heard of ORB, even tried to play with it a bit, but
> the documentation I've found is terrible. Like a number of fields I've
> poked at, if you wan to understand how to do something, you have to do
> it, making for a tricky.

You did well to walk away from ORB and it's implementation layer CORBA.

It was one of those things not designed by real engineers but by
bloated committees. It tried to be all things to all systems and ended
up being useable by none, much like XML and Java.

There was a standards body tracking ORB, I forget which one, but none
of that matters as the folks who should use it - system builders - saw
it's flaws quite quickly. Even Gnome has dropped it and are now moving
over to dbus.

Dbus is an interesting piece of technology and rather useful, it does
it a disservice to knock it. As Canek posted a few mails higher up, it
implements a standard messaging layer on top of existing mechanisms.
You know about the existing mechanisms so you also know that they only
provide a means for communication, not the language used for the
communication. And developing a language for every IPC you want to do
becomes tiresome very quickly.

As an analogy (albeit a poor one) dbus relates to IPC as TCP relates to
IP - all the boring plumbing underneath your communication that makes it
work at all is already there. It would work best if dbus doesn't become
yet another way to do IPC, but replaces many of them. Imagine how
much unbloat you could accomplish if you could remove all the little
bits of IPC plumbing scattered throughout the average Unix system's
codebase.

There are many code projects out there that deserves to be maligned to
the point of painful death, then killed. But I honestly beleive dbus is
not one of them.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com