On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 14:26:27 -0500, Dale wrote:

> One thing I don't like about having all the separate file in package.*
> is trying to keep up with them.  I have several files that are there
> that don't even have anything in them because either
> portages unmask feature or autounmask created them.  I sort of wonder
> if it wouldn't be easier for me to go back to a single file.  Then I
> can open it with kwrite and if the file has a lot in it, just use the
> find tool.  I know, I'm sure there is some command that can do that but
> that's another story.  Of course I also have several files that do have
> something in them.  Thing is, if I suspect something is in a file and
> want to look, I have to open each file, look to see if it's there and
> if not, repeat with the next one until I find it.  Sometimes that is
> like a needle in a haystack.

Either give the files sensible names or use grep :)

I name the file after the package that requires its settings, so if foo
requires a USE flag on libbar, I put that in foo. That way, if I unmerge
foo, I can delete the file and not leave cruft.

--
Neil Bothwick

If it ain't broke, break it and charge for repair.