On 2011-10-05, Pandu Poluan <pa...@poluan.info> wrote:

>> I give up.  I've absolutely no idea what grub2 has to do with the OS's
>> init system, and none of what you've written makes any sense to me.
>
> I think what he meant was:

I assume you mean PID#1 (typically /sbin/init).  On Unixes with PID#0,
it's usually the swapper or scheduler task that's internal to the
kernel.

> The *installer* portion of grub2 is aware of which pid#0 is running
> when it auto-creates the bootloader's configuration. That pid#0 is
> passed on to the kernel by the bootloader.

OK.  I that I understand.  It seems a bit redundant to me: I've been
running Linux since the 0.99 days and never had to pass init= to a
kernel.  But, I guess it won't hurt anything...

> The *bootloader* portion of grub2 don't know and don't care what is
> being used as pid#0 by the OS. All it knows is that the installer
> portion has specified something to be passed to the OS. And that's
> what it does, without understanding anything about pid#0.

And the set of init scripts that belong to grub2 are just to try to
auto-magically generate the config file?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! They collapsed
                                  at               ... like nuns in the