On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:46:03 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

>> The *installer* portion of grub2 is aware of which pid#0 is running
> > when it auto-creates the bootloader's configuration. That pid#0 is
> > passed on to the kernel by the bootloader.
>
> OK.  I that I understand.  It seems a bit redundant to me: I've been
> running Linux since the 0.99 days and never had to pass init= to a
> kernel.  But, I guess it won't hurt anything...

That's because you are using the standard, hard-coded, init. GRUB2 is
trying to cope with all use cases, so it checks to see whether a
different system is in use and configures the boot menu accordingly.

--
Neil Bothwick

GOTO: (n.) an efficient and general way of controlling a program, much
despised by academics and others whose brains have been ruined by
overexposure to Pascal.