On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:49:54 +0100
Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I had one weekend
> >> running Ubuntu and ended up running away as fast as I could. It
> >> wasn't that it was bad or didn't work, but that the management of
> >> it seemed so different from any distro I'd run before that I
> >> didn't want to deal with learning it. Let's see how that does for
> >> you.
> >>
> >> Again, remembering I didn't really give it much of a chance - I was
> >> running on a Power PC Mac Mini - two things that drove me mad were:
> >>
> >> 1) The basic install didn't tell me what the root password was.
> >>
> >> 2) All the management was done using sudo.
> >>
> >> I couldn't get past the idea that if something went wrong that
> >> with no root password what was I supposed to do? Now, I was
> >> absolutely sure at the time there had to be a way to set that
> >> myself, maybe as simple as sudo passwd - root or something like
> >> that, but I decided it just wasn't for me and tossed the machine
> >> in the garage rather than deal with it! :-)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Mark
> >>
> <SNIP>
> >
> > I don't use sudo on my rig so it sort of annoys me.  ;-)   I guess
> > we have that in common.  lol
> >
> > The update tool is GUI.  That's why I think he can do that himself.
> >  A lot like winders in a way.  Heck, if this works well and that
> > intfs thingy gets on my nerves, may use it myself.  :-(   I may
> > have found my next distro. I'm not leaving yet.  I'm going to give
> > the inity thingy a shot, maybe two. After that, kill shot.
> >
> > Dale
> >

> I hate sudo, I never got the point in using it - and actually it is
> one of the thing that makes Ubuntu annoying to me. I'm not the only
> one, then! :D

Then you must be using a single-user machine. Like your own laptop or
desktop.

sudo is absolutely necessary on any multi-user machine unless you like
security holes.

Instead of bashing sudo, it's better to find out what problem it is
designed to solve, then determine if you have that problem. It does
have a point, and a very valuable one too, you just seem to not have
seen it yet.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com