On 12/12/11 12:15, Daniel Troeder wrote:
Hello :)

I have an ext4-filesystem that contains /usr/src, the /usr/portage and
/var/cache/edb. It previously also contained /var/db/pkg, but I had to
move that some weeks ago, because the fs was "full". Now it's "full"
again, though it has free blocks. But no inodes are left:

$ fsck -vf /dev/sda5
[..]
 655360 inodes used (100.00%)
[..]

$ find /gentoo -xdev | wc -l
655338

That's really disappointing. I was using reiser3fs and XFS before, and
they didn't have that kind of limitation... Uhm... not meant as a rant -
I like ext4 - that's why I'm moving (almost?) everything to it...

Is there any way to raise the number of inodes without using
$ mkfs.ext4 -N BIGNUM

Thank you,
Daniel

That is scary. I just install new HD with 2TB capacity and ext4 that is 2% full
and:
$ find /home/joseph/ -xdev | wc -l shows: 169977 that is 26% full.

So will run out of inodes before I run out of hard disk space :-/ that is not
good.
If other filesystems don't have these kind of limitation I'll be switching.

--
Joseph