On Dec 12, 2011 9:39 PM, "Joseph" <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Quick googling around indicates that JFS, or XFS don't have these
limitation.
> -----quote--------
> Many computer programs used by system administrators in UNIX operating
systems often designate files with inode numbers. Examples include popular
disk integrity checking utilities such as the fsck or pfiles. Thus, the
need naturally arises to translate inode numbers to file pathnames and vice
versa. This can be accomplished using the file finding utility find with
the -inum option, or the ls command with the proper option (-i on POSIX
compliant platforms).

> It is possible to use up a device's set of inodes. When this happens, new
files cannot be created on the device, even though there may be free space
available. For example, a mail server may have many small files that don't
fill up the disk, but use many inodes to point to the numerous files.

> Filesystems (such as JFS, or XFS) escape this limitation with extents
and/or dynamic inode allocation, which can 'grow' the filesystem and/or
increase the number of inodes.
> ----end quote------

ReiserFS also doesn't have problems with inodes because everything are kept
in b*trees that can keep growing indefinitely.

In fact, I think I read somewhere that ReiserFS is perfect for /var/tmp and
/usr/src due to the amount of small files in those directories.

Rgds,