On 12.12.2011 15:54, Alex Schuster wrote:
> Joseph writes:
>> That is scary. I just install new HD with 2TB capacity and ext4 that is
>> 2% full and:
>> $ find /home/joseph/ -xdev | wc -l
>> shows: 169977  that is 26% full.
> No, that is 26% of the number of total inodes _Daniel_ has on his small
> partition. Yours is bigger, so you have more inodes. My largest partition
> has 724G, and 46 million inodes. Use df -i to see how many you have.
Ah yes... My partition is only 10GB, and mkfs.ext4 sais in its man page
(at "-N" option) it uses a "calculation [..] based on the number of
blocks and the bytes-per-inode ratio". So a small partition will have
fewer inodes than a big partition.

mkfs.extX uses settings for the inode-block-ratio from /etc/mke2fs.conf.
The "-T" option configures which one to use, my partition falls into
category 512MB < "default" < 4TB, which makes it use inode_ratio=16384.
I think I should use the "news" type. It has inode_ratio=4096, which
should give me 4 times the inodes.... testing... yes: 2621440 inodes
instead of 655360.

Previously I used reiser3fs for this kind of filesystem usage, but it's
not faster than extX anymore. Moreover it's running on a SSD now, and
afaik reiser3fs doesn't support TRIM :(

OK - thank you all. It seems I'll have to reformat.

Bye,
Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887