On Tue, Jan 03, 2012 at 05:22:09PM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote

> (Come to think of it, has *any* distro ever attempted this...
> 'unconventional of going udev-free?)

  Alpine linux has done it http://alpinelinux.org/  Unfortunately,
they're so minimalistic and server-oriented that they use uclibc instead
of glibc.  So Alpine is not viable as a desktop distro.  Think of it as

Gentoo with mdev instead of udev == Alpine with glibc instead of uclibc

  By the way, there's a thread on the Gentoo developer list discussing
the situation, and the proposed move of a bunch of stuff to /usr.  See
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=245148;page=1;mh=-1;list=gentoo;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC

  I piped up with my proposal.  We'll see what happens.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>