On 2012-03-17 12:11 AM, Bruce Hill, Jr. <da...@happypenguincomputers.com> wrote:
An initramfs which does this is created by
=sys-kernel/genkernel-3.4.25.1 or
=sys-kernel/dracut-017-r1. If you do not want to use these tools, be
sure any initramfs you create pre-mounts /usr.

Ok, I have never used genkernel, and have no desire to...

I have no idea what dracut is or how to use it...

I have a remote system that has /usr on a separate partition.

So...

How do I find out if I am actually *using* an initramfs right now (I know it is built into the kernel), and

If I am not, how do I do this without using genkernel? Is dracut t he only other option? Is it easy/trivial to set one up manually?

I cannot imagine that gentoo is just going to throw me to the wolves like this without providing *in-depth* instructions on how to make sure my system will boot after this update, like they did with the baselayout-2 update...