My motherboard went on the blink earlier this week.
I've now successfully installed a new one,
but now can't get the kernel to find the SATA hard disk ("803 etc").

The problem seems to be that the kernel has AHCI enabled,
which was necessary for the old mobo,
but the new one's BIOS doesn't have an option to select AHCI.
The Ubuntu + Mandriva partitions start properly, as does System Rescue,
so the problem has to be in the Gentoo kernel configuration.

(1) Can I simply drop AHCI from the kernel or do I need to do something else ?
(2) Can I recompile the kernel without going thro' a partial re-install
or do I need to do a change-root etc to get it to work ?

Can anyone advise ?

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca