120421 Graham Murray wrote:
> pk <pete...@coolmail.se> writes:
>> On 2012-04-21 04:12, Philip Webb wrote:
>>> It's an Asus P5G41T-M LX & the manual says :
>> the chipset on that mobo is G41 (released in 2008) and it combines
>> with ICH7 which unfortunately doesn't seem to support AHCI.
> If it is an ICH which does not support AHCI, then try the option
> for "Intel ESB, ICH, PIIX3, PIIX4 PATA/SATA Support"
> which generates the PIIX driver.

Thanks enormously ! -- that's the solution (ATA_PIIX).

I'm surprised that the newer mobo (G41) dropped support for AHCI
which the older mobo (G33) had, but it shouldn't make much difference
& I'm planning to build an upto-date machine later in the year.

So I'm now able to operate normally in the 2007 machine,
but it still has a problem with Eth0, which hopefully wb easier to fix:
this is being sent from the 2003 machine, which chugs along adequately.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca