On 28-May-12 20:58, Michael Mol wrote:

Q2: Can I turn this "/run in tmpfs" feature off?

Up front: I don't know. Not my area of expertise, but I also don't
think you've given enough information about your system to really
answer.

1) Are you using openrc or systemd? (which version?)

openrc 0.9.8.4

2) Are you using an initramfs? (Generated by what version of what?)

no, but I might be forced to use it later when udev >=181 becomes
stable.

3) Are there any circumstances where your root filesystem is read-only?

The only I know is shutdown, when / is remounted read-only.

But why would you want to?

I do not see any advantage in having /run on tmpfs.

will be automatically moved to your swap partition if doing so
benefits your system.

I'm not sure it is true. I have read somewhere that tmfps is
never moved to swap. Anyway, I prefer not using swap at all.
And I have better use for physical memory than holding some
more-or-less statical data...

<OT>
I always liked Gentoo because it gives me complete freedom
and control over my system. *I* could decide what I want to
use or not. And I'd be very dissapointed if Gentoo one day goes
to "YouCanNotTurnThisOffBecauseWeKnowWhatIsTheBestForYou" way...
</OT>

Jarry