On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 09:37:03AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 23:21:06 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
>
> > If we also stick to helping someone with their problem, and refrain from
> > replying about how bad or useless we think an app or ideal might be to
> > us, we could avoid flame wars.
>
> Unfortunately, there are times when it is necessary to point out how bad
> an idea is in order to help someone. Recent example: the suggestion to
> use dd to copy one drive to another with a different block size. While
> this may have worked for the person suggesting it, it is a bad idea in
> general and refraining from stating that could have resulted n problems
> for someone following that advice.

Might I suggest that it is more appropriate, and more likely to be received,
if it is 'pointed out' with logic, technical explanation, and courtesy.

> Surely stating the merits or otherwise of an idea is a core element of
> discussion, and discussion is what this list is about.

Which can (and should) be done well without sarcasm and personal attack.

> On the topic of swearing, some consider it "bad language", as you do, and
> I respect that view. Others consider it a means of expression (others
> seem to use it for punctuation, but no one is defending that). There are
> times that some words can add emotion or emphasis to a statement,
> especially when used rarely, but on a list like this there is generally
> little or no need for it. However, not all users of this list are
> native-English speakers and other cultures see use of such language
> different - one only has to look at the comments made on the podium of
> the Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix, made by professional drivers who are paid
> not to offend.

God, whom you mention in your sig, has written His law on the heart of every
one, so that "they are without excuse". Having visited 10 countries, and lived
in China for almost 9 years, my experience has been that even most heathen in
remote villages understand propriety.

This person doing post-grad work in a Mexican universtiy well understands.
But even if you doubt that, just reference his remark: "I hope it doesn't
offend anyone. That was not (nor is) the intention." Seems he didn't *really*
mean that, and will continue to offend others.

--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting