On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:16:05 +0200
> nunojsi...@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
>
> > On 2012-12-14, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> > > I guess the other question that's lurking here for me is why do you
> > > have /usr on a separate partition? What's the usage model that
> > > drives a person to do that? The most I've ever done is
> > > move /usr/portage and /usr/src to other places. My /usr never has
> > > all that much in it beyond those two directories, along with
> > > maybe /usr/share. Would it not be easier for you in the long run to
> > > move /usr back to / and not have to deal with this question at all?
> >
> > I may be wrong in this one, but the idea I have is that your regular
> > applications (so, most of them) all lie under /usr/ -- /lib /bin and
> > others are for essential system tools.
> >

> That was the original reason for having / and /usr separate, and it
> dates back to the early 70s. The other reason that stems from that time
> period is the size of disks we had back then - they were tiny and often
> a minimal / was all that could really fit on the primary system drive.

I'm sorry, but I just can't let this one go. The reasons are
backwards. The limitation in free space was the original reason [1]
why / and /usr were separated. In fact, /usr was supposed to serve the
same purpose as /home - it was originally a directory for users. It's
only a quirk of history that served to keep most of the binaries in
/usr when the home directories were moved elsewhere to /home.

Long story short, Unix, too, has its share of old farts that are
unwilling to embrace change at anything faster than a glacier's pace.
Just ask the Plan 9 folks.

[1] http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html

--
This email is:    [ ] actionable   [x] fyi        [ ] social
Response needed:  [ ] yes          [ ] up to you  [x] no