> So, since I have /usr separate from the rest, I could mount it read only
> and reduce the chance of corruption if say my UPS failed?  I already do
> this for /boot.  Interesting.  Very interesting indeed.
>
> If the other issues happen, computers is likely the least of our
> problems.  ;-)

Or if the bulk of the user data is under /usr perhaps with
further partitions for even more highly written locations
then you can have a more trusted ro root though in fact all the
partitions gain. It's not just power failure this covers and less so
these days with journaling, (though remember, journaling may not apply
to your system such as some embedded). I guess also the system crash
term may have been used in the FHS to cover more than just power
failure, filesystem bugs (less code used), hardware failure etc..

There are other plus points in the FHS too.

A counter point is head movement though that could be improved at the
same time due to a reduced fragmentation (I know it's much lower on unix
but still applies) depending on a few obvious things and removed with
ssd.

p.s. I'm 30 in January, so I hope I wouldn't be thought of as an old
fart already. Just because I agree with the /bin/grep /usr/bin/grep
consolidation but not the data consolidation.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)