On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:27:54PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:21:35 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:
>
> > N = newuse (pkgs with changed USE flags)
>
> --changed-use makes more sense than -N, it saves unnecessary compiling.

If I understand "man emerge", --newuse tells me if an installed package has a
USE flag that was added, removed, turned on, or turned off; whereas
--changed-use only notifies me if a USE flag that I've chosen on my installed
packages are changed -- not any other USE flags the maintainer, or some other
committer, has changed (those have bitten me in the past).

Since I'm not really interested in reading the ChangeLog for *hundreds* of
packages, N (--newuse) suits me better. Those flags have special colors and
one or more of - * % () symbols so a quick glance lets me know *which* pkgs
the dev has changed, and *which* pkgs ChangeLog I might want to read.
--
Happy Penguin Computers               >')
126 Fenco Drive                       ( \

Don't top-post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_post#Top-posting