130131 Dustin C. Hatch wrote:
> On 1/31/2013 20:41, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Firefox 17.0.2 requires alsa-lib , which I don't want as I don't use sound;
>> this is still the case with USE="-alsa".
>> I want to test what happens if I try to compile it without that dep,
>> so I copied the ebuild to /var/lib/layman/local/www-client/firefox/
>> & commented the relevant line to remove the RDEPEND.
>> When I then tried 'ebuild <newpkgname>...ebuild manifest',
>> it started to download xillions of little .xpi files into  distfiles ,
>> apparently  1  for each of the World's many languages
>> (this didn't happen at my last 'eix-sync').
> It's downloading those files so it can recalculate the file hashes.

That's what I suspected (smile).

> When running `ebuild <file> digest`, it has to have
> all possible files available in order to update the Manifest file.
> Those languages won't be installed when you actually install
> your modified package. You'll probably want to keep them around
> until you're finished making changes, though.

Why doesn't this happen when I do my weekly 'eix-sync' ?
Perhaps it silently downloads them, then deletes them again,
or perhaps it simply downloads the Manifest on those occasions,
but has to calculate it specially for the non-Portage overlay.

I'll give it another try, but suggestions are still welcome.
Thanks for this one.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca