Neil Bothwick wrote:

>>> Because every emerge @world will want to install ALSA.
>
>> Don't add it to the world file then, just upgrade it manually each
>> time.
>
> Then portage will want to depclean it. It is always best to try to use
> the methods portage provides instead of trying to be clever than it.

When you start working AROUND portage with one thing, then you have to
work AROUND portage with a lot of things.  This would include depclean.
Run depclean with -p and remove packages manually.  If that is to much
trouble, let depclean remove it and just emerge -k the package again
after depclean is done.

I'm not saying either of us is wrong, I'm just saying that when you try
to override portage, you have to deal with the issues that creates.
Either way will work but nether way is going to be easy in the long
run.  Either way, portage is going to want to fix whatever it thinks is
broken, even if it is not.  Every time there is a update, time to fix
the ebuild again. Pick a poison and swallow hard.  lol

I think the best way is to talk to the dev that maintains it and find
out of he can make sound a option.  If a person does not have a system
capable of sound, why have it built in anyway.  I can certainly see that
as I have had systems in the past that had no sound.  Then again, there
is the mute option.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!