On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:39:35PM +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote
> > Don't waste time and effort on it.  Put your
> > effort into pounding away on a simple issue that people do understand...
> > we're running out of IP addresses.
>
> We have run out of unallocated ones, there are still loads of unused
> ones... and even some being released.

  And they'll run out rather quickly at the rate they're being assigned.
There are approximately 3.7 billion usable IPV4 addresses.  Soon, that
will be one for every 2 people on this planet.  And don't forget the
people who have an account at home, a smartphone with web access, and an
internet-connected desktop at work.  Conservation of IP addresses will
buy us a couple more years, but that's it.

> and even more due to global NAT...

  In another message you said...

> ...and may I state again also that I have externally facing servers
> and games machines behind NAT.

  Yes, that works if *YOU* have at least 1 public IP address and *YOU*
control port-forwarding.  But it won't work behind carrier-level NAT.

> It is true eventually it will be an absolute problem but hopefully by
> then we will have a cleaner ipv7.

  It won't happen.  It's too late to start from scratch, and the IPV6
rollout has already begun.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>