Am 24.03.2013 18:14, schrieb Jarry:
> On 24-Mar-13 17:46, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:26:03 +0100, Jarry wrote:
>>
>>> [ebuild  N     ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-3.7.10:3.7.10  USE="-build
>>> -deblob -symlink" 68,335 kB
>>> [ebuild  N     ] virtual/linux-sources-0  0 kB
>>> [ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/kmod-12-r1  USE="tools zlib -debug -doc -lzma
>>> -static-libs" KERNEL="(linux%*)" 0 kB
>>
>>> Why in the heavens name should be gentoo-sources pulled in as
>>> dependency of whatever?
>>
>> As a dependency of virtual-sources, which is probably pulled in by kmod.
>> Adding --tree would have told you for sure.
>>
>> You may get away with adding gentoo-sources to package.provided.
>
> Thanks, this works (never heard of this file before). But there
> is one small problem: no wildcards are allowed, so whenever new
> sorces come I'll have to edit package.provided again, and again

No, that's not true. Here's the quote from the man page:

   Portage will not attempt to update a package that is listed here
unless another package explicitly requires a version that is newer than
what has been listed. Dependencies that are satisfied by
package.provided entries may cause installed packages satisfying
equivalent dependencies to be removed by emerge(1) --depclean actions
(see the ACTIONS section of the emerge(1) man page for more information).