On 24-Mar-13 18:39, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

BTW why should kmod depend on kernel-sources? Or even better, why
should be kmod installed, if I have static (non-modular) kernel?

Because your use case is not standard. The normal situation for users
with kmod installed (and you have already kmod installed, since in
your --pretend run appears as to be reinstalled) is for them to use
kernel modules. The developers cannot handle every possible
combination of configurations, so defaults are set for the least weird
cases, or the common case even.

But what are kernel-sources good for after kernel has been compiled?
They take some disk-space (~700MB in my case!), so I think it is
quite logical to compile kernel, install & test it, and after that
get rid of kernel-sources.

And I still do not know what does kmod need from kernel-sources.
Some part of kernel source-code? Strange is, up to now kmod was
satisfied even without kernel-sources...

I know some other packages look for kernel-sources, but issue
only warning if can not found any (i.e. udev). But why does
kmod need kernel-sources so badly it pulls them as dependency?

Jarry