> > (i) It's a "sound server", a description I don't understand.  What
> > does it _do_?  Why do I want it?  It seems to be an unnecessary
> > layer of fat between sound applications and the kernel.
>
> If you don't understand the term "sound server" you probably
> shouldn't be using Gentoo.
>
> When I'm watching a YouTube video I still want to hear my email
> client go bing or my chat program alert me of my buddy coming online.
>
> That's not possible if my web-browser has a hard-wired path into my
> soundcard and ain't letting go.

Just throwing out there that users can or atleast could use alsa plugs
to have multiple applications. I did that before pulseaudio came along
to play nfs carbon under cedega and listen to music.

Also I have never got around to looking into Jackd but isn't it meant
to be by far the best. I know pro audio users use it and I have heard it
is not the easiest to set up but is there any reason why it isn't the
default setup.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK

From a quick look at this jack can hook up multiple applications that
seem to need to be set up individually. What's the scope for Jack

a./ replacing pulseaudio

b./ having a compat interface layer to make pulseaudio compatible apps
talk to jack

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)