On 21/04/2013 16:33, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Alan...
>
> On 2013-04-20 11:33 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If VMWare gives you a really shitty host driver, then something
>> really shitty is going to be the best you can achieve.
>
> The host is a Dell R515 with the Perc H700.
>
> Windows VMs see get an 'LSI Logic SAS', and my gentoo VM gets an 'LSI
> Logic Parallel' controller.
>
> All disks are 15k rpm SAS (6G) drives.

That's very similar to our setups with the exception of the host
hardware - we have R700 series hosts.

I'd be interested to keep track of what you find out and feed that back
to the sysadmins

>> Disks aren't like eg NICs, you can't easily virtualize them and give the
>> guest exclusive access in the style of para-virtualization (I can't
>> imagine how that would even be done).
>>
>> You also didn't mention what mail server you use - implementations vary
>> a great deal. Gut feel tells me that unless you are dealing with many
>> 1000s of mails in a short period you won't really need XFS's aggressive
>> caching.
>
> Postfix+dovecot, still debating between maildir or mdbox, leaning toward
> mdbox.

I always found postfix to be the best choice for an MTA in the large
picture (mostly because everyone else can also figure out what's going
on). I'd also be testing mdbox first just because maildir always leaves
me feeling a bit like there's a little too much disk IO going on and it
could be better

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com