On 20-Apr-13 17:00, Tanstaafl wrote:

Another question - are there any caveats as to which filesystem to use
for a mail server, for virtualized systems? Ir do the same
issues/questions apply (ie, does the fact that it is virtualized not
change anything)?

Problem of virtualized filesystem is not that it is virtualized,
but that it is located on datastore with more virtual systems,
all of them competing for the same i/o. *That* is the bottleneck.
If you switch reiser for xfs or btrfs, you might win (or loose)
a few %. If you optimize your esxi-datastore design, you might
win much more than what you have ever dreamed of.

I have 8 VMs (out of them 6 are Gentoo) hosted on ESXi, intended
for various tasks (mail, dns, mysql, web, etc), moderately loaded.
I used hw-raid controller with 2x sata-hdd in raid1 but performance
was quite dissapointing and I experienced all sorts of i/o jams.
Then I switched hdd for ssd (yes I use 2 of them in raid1, even
if this is not generally recommended) and performance rocks now!
I can start now kernel compilation on all 6 VMs at the same time,
with near-zero performance penalty (depending on cpu/vcpu ratio
and number of threads used). Unthinkable with hdd-based datastore.

I would definitely recommend using SSD. Either directly as
datastore for VMs, or at least as EXSi host-cache. There is
also possibility of "hybrid-raid" (1xSSD and 1xHDD in raid1)
on some raid-controllers. Or if your pocket is really deep,
you could grab one of those FusionIO-cards to avoid being
limited by rather slow sata-interface (SSD for PCIe)...

Jarry