On Sat, April 20, 2013 17:38, Jarry wrote:
> On 20-Apr-13 17:00, Tanstaafl wrote:
>
>> Another question - are there any caveats as to which filesystem to use
>> for a mail server, for virtualized systems? Ir do the same
>> issues/questions apply (ie, does the fact that it is virtualized not
>> change anything)?
>
> Problem of virtualized filesystem is not that it is virtualized,
> but that it is located on datastore with more virtual systems,
> all of them competing for the same i/o. *That* is the bottleneck.
> If you switch reiser for xfs or btrfs, you might win (or loose)
> a few %. If you optimize your esxi-datastore design, you might
> win much more than what you have ever dreamed of.

If the underlying I/O is fast enough with low seek-times and high
throughput, that handling multiple VMs using a lot of disk I/O
simultaneously isn't a problem. Provided the Host has sufficient resources
(think memory and dedicated CPU) to handle it.

> I have 8 VMs (out of them 6 are Gentoo) hosted on ESXi, intended
> for various tasks (mail, dns, mysql, web, etc), moderately loaded.
> I used hw-raid controller with 2x sata-hdd in raid1 but performance
> was quite dissapointing and I experienced all sorts of i/o jams.

Which hw-raid controller did you use?
RAID-1 (mirroring) isn't actually known for high performance.

> Then I switched hdd for ssd (yes I use 2 of them in raid1, even
> if this is not generally recommended) and performance rocks now!
> I can start now kernel compilation on all 6 VMs at the same time,
> with near-zero performance penalty (depending on cpu/vcpu ratio
> and number of threads used). Unthinkable with hdd-based datastore.

I have HDD-based datastores and can do this on 4 VMs (single quad-core
CPU) without any penalty.

> I would definitely recommend using SSD. Either directly as
> datastore for VMs, or at least as EXSi host-cache. There is
> also possibility of "hybrid-raid" (1xSSD and 1xHDD in raid1)
> on some raid-controllers. Or if your pocket is really deep,
> you could grab one of those FusionIO-cards to avoid being
> limited by rather slow sata-interface (SSD for PCIe)...

A decent hardware raid-controller with multiple disks running in a higher
raid version is cheaper then the same storage capacity in SSDs.

--
Joost