I have travelled exactly the same path as you, and feel all your pain.

At first I used claws but after a few months it got unbearably slow when
dealing with calendars and invites, so I switched to Thunderbird. It
works well enough for me.

Let's first establish your needs, I see a few points that don't make
much real-world sense.

You retrieve your mail from Gmail, and then selectively delete stuff
from Google's servers. Why are you doing that? Gmail is built to archive
everything forever and most people's mail quickly gets to be a lot of
mail. I can understand leaving all of it there in an archive, or
deleting all of it, depending on how you like to do your backups, but I
don't understand the selective delete part. Looks like a lot of manual
work on your part.

I wouldn't try using mail clients to directly access the same local
mailbox structure. No two clients work the same way, they all index
mails differently, other subtle differences exist and there's always
locking issues. Mutt and kmail might not respect each other's turf...

I recommend a man in the middle - a local IMAP serve of your choice that
works fast for you and stores mail acceptably for you. Fetch your mail
using fetchmail or one of it's friends, use procmail to filter it and
feed it into your IMAP server, and connect to IMAP locally using any GUI
mail client you choose. This gives you a standard interface (IMAP)
instead of a weird interface (disk files store wherever however) and all
locking issues just go away.

The above is what I did (and delete everything off Google's servers so I
do my own backups), and it makes most of the rest of your post redundant
and no longer apply.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com