On 25/07/2013 04:24, Walter Dnes wrote:
   Thanks to all who replied.  sys-firmware/seabios needed the "binary"
flag and sys-firmware/ipxe needed the "qemu" and "vmware" flags.  It's
starting now, and most of my problems are solved.

   I still have permission problems as a regular user with qemu-kvm, but
qemu-system-i386 works.  Root can start qemu-kvm.  "modprobe kvm-intel"
from a root xterm, followed by "qemu-kvm blahblahblah" from a regular
user (i.e. "waltdnes") fails...

Could not access KVM kernel module: Permission denied
failed to initialize KVM: Permission denied

Before anybody asks...

# grep kvm /etc/group
kvm:x:78:waltdnes,user2

1) What are the permissions of the device node mentioned in my previous
response?

2) Does the groups command show that you're in the group right now?

   One more question... I rebuilt qemu with sdl enabled, and now have the
Gentoo install ISO booting up in a window via sdl with...

qemu-system-i386 -cpu qemu32 -m 3072 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d

   But the screen refreshes are somewhat slow.  I'd prefer to do it with
vnc.  What is the way to boot up and connect with vnc now?  Starting
with...

qemu-system-i386 -vnc :0 -cpu qemu32 -m 3072 -hda sda.raw -cdrom installx86.iso
-boot d

...gives no output at all.  "ps -ef" shows the qemu process is present.

Of course. You've asked it to couple the display with its embedded VNC server. You'll need to connect with a VNC client to see it.

I've installed tightvnc, but documentation is almost non-existant.
Google turns up tons of download sites and instructions for Windows,
complete with screen captures of cutsie-wootsie dialogue windows.  I need
just 2 things please...

1) What vnc parameters to enter into the qemu commandline?

The parameters you used look fine. Display ":0" should translate to TCP port 5900, meaning that qemu should be listening on port 5900. You can check with netstat or ss.

2) What "vncviewer" or "vncconnect" parameters do I use to get to the
qemu session?

Assuming both server and client are run locally, connecting to either "localhost:0" or "localhost:5900" should work.

   I just had a scary thought... the vnc "help" mentions connecting to
the the client display.  But the install cd boots up to a text console.
Please don't tell me that tightvnc can't connect to a plain text
console.

It can.

--Kerin