On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 10:17:41AM +0100, Kerin Millar wrote
> That's correct if you want optimal performance in
> X.org. The best option is -vga vmware in conjunction with
> x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware.

  The last time I used qemu a few years ago, I ended up running wine
from the guest as an X client, using the host's display.  The display
was native, and faster than the emulation.  I also didn't have to build
the full-blown X-server on the guest.  Here are my latest scripts/commands

1) The install startup script

#!/bin/bash
sudo /usr/bin/qemu-kvm \
 -vga vmware \
 -vnc :2 \
 -redir tcp:60022::22 \
 -cpu qemu32 \
 -m 3072 \
 -hda sda.raw -hdb sdb.raw -cdrom installx86.iso -boot d

2) Launching vncviewer

vncviewer localhost:2

3) ssh from the guest to the host

ssh root@localhost