On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 09:49:43 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/08/2013 06:26, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM, »Q« <boxc...@gmx.net> wrote:
> >> It looks like maybe the best way to tell which ebuilds support
> >> which kernels is to read the conditional for the ewarn message in
> >> each ebuild.
> >
> > If this sort of problem spreads it might be good to build into
> > portage some kind of blocker/keyword mechanism so that users need
> > not deal with this.... not that I have any appreciation for the
> > work involved.
>
> Those tools already exist.
>
> Blockers, which do not really apply here;

In a comment on the bug (which is full of bugspam), someone suggested
blocking kernels which are incompatible with the currently-installed
nvidia-drivers.  I'm glad that idea was dismissed.

> elog messages

Those elog messages are presented after compiling a new kernel and then
trying and failing to compile nvidia-drivers.  So now I grep the
nvidia-drivers ebuilds for the messages before I compile a new kernel.

A wiki page with info about which nvidia-drivers will build against
which kernels would be a nice thing to have.