Edward M wrote:
> On 10/20/2013 9:27 PM, Dale wrote:
>>  I did some googling and found out that I have to add "
>> iommu=pt" to the kernel command line.  When I do that, it works fine.
>
>      In the UEFI/BIOS menus;  does it have a "|IOMMU Controller"
> option and if
>   it does, try enabling it and boot linux normally.

That is what I had to do.  I also had to add the line to the kernel
command line to be able to boot.  It required both to get this working.
It *seems* that I have to force something to work by adding the command
line option.  I have done that a few times in the past but to me, it
seems like some sort of hack.  I *hope* to have this mobo for many
years.  If it is going to be flakey, weird, odd or any other words that
some may use to describe ME, lol, I'd just rather switch to something
else now.  I picked Gigabyte because they seem to be rock solid.  It
seems this mobo is a exception to the rule.

While I like Gigabyte as a brand, if this is going to be something that
reduces the value of my purchase, I want to get something else.  I
assume that the iommu has something to do with IO, input/output.  If
using that option is going to slow something down or otherwise have a
negative impact on performance, time to switch.

I still got some reading to do so this may change as I find out more but
based on what I have read so far, this mobo just doesn't like Linux.
Anything that doesn't like Linux in this house, doesn't stay around
long.  As some may know, I am a Linux only person.

Tyan is a mobo I have heard good things about.  I think someone gave me
a puter to repair once that had a ASUS mobo.  It seemed to be a nice
mobo.  Pity the guys house caught fire from the central heat tho.  I'm
open to ideas here.

Basically, I want to make sure this is going to meet my expectations for
years to come.  If it won't, time to switch.

Thanks to all for the help.  I figured I was missing something in the
kernel but wasn't expecting this, not from Gigabyte at least.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!