J. Roeleveld wrote:
> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Well, I got the cable in.  I hooked it up, nothing. Hmmmm.  Then I
>     turned around to look at my regular monitor and KDE had a pop up about a
>     new video device.  Oh really.  I clicked to set it up and now I have a
>     picture.  No sound tho.  I can't watch videos with no sound.  I'll need
>     to work on that.  ;-)
>
>     I just hope this cable is going to be long enough after I run it under
>     the floor.  I think it will but it's going to be close.
>
>     Dale
>
>     :-)  :-)
>

> Do you get sound out of the speakers connected to the computer directly?
>
> If you do, but not from the TV then you have 2 options:
> 1) connect an audio cable to the tv. (My tv has that option. Not all
> do though)
> 2) you figure out how to send sound through the cable between the
> videocard and tv. For that, I would have a look into sound drivers for
> the audio in the card (if it has a sound device) and also in alsa (or
> similar) mixer settings.
>
> FYI, the only time I hooked up a PC to my TV it was with a VGA cable
> and simple audio cable.
> Back then, I didn't have HDMI outputs.
>
> --
> Joost
> --

I figured it out.  I found a wiki and found out that the sound can get
there just fine on the command line but it didn't with smplayer.  So I
went hmmmm.  Then I recalled seeing a tab for audio in preferences for
smplayer.  I dived right in.  What I have to do is tell smplayer where
to send the sound.  I can tell it to send it to the speakers hooked to
the puter or tell it to send it to the TV.  No setting that I can find
for it to just send to both.  Maybe there is a OS seting for this
somewhere.  I dunno. Now that I know where to set this, it's no big deal
to just change it based on what I am going to listen too.

Oh, while testing the sound, I found out I have my puter speakers
backwords.  My left speaker claims to be right and the right speaker
claims to be left.  It's been that way for many years now.  LOL   Could
that be why I am so weird??  ;-)

I'm going to do some price checking on monitors.  I may try to get one
that is a little higher res if I can.  Anyway, I still need to check
into some things. The edges of the screen on my TV is cut off.  It's not
much but just enough that it will cause issues if I try to do some
things on the TV.  While in the KDE control center thingy, it had a
setting for the new screen to be left/right/top/bottom so it sounds like
my video card will support having two monitors with different images.
Right now, I set it to clone tho.  That's what I want right now.

Thanks to all.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!