On 02/04/2014 02:29 PM, gottl...@nyu.edu wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04 2014, Daniel Campbell wrote:
>
>> On 02/04/2014 01:58 PM, Joseph wrote:
>>> Is it possible to go from "systemd" to "udev"?
>>>
>>> I don't like the way systemd works.  I have a problem with mounting USB
>>> sick (it mounts as root:root) and I can not even change the permission.
>>> I am receiving Hylafax fax transmission reports (email) on all incoming
>>> faxes and now these emails are empty.
>>> It all start happening after switching to systemd :-(
>>>

>> systemd and udev are part of the same project, so I believe what you
>> meant was switching from systemd to OpenRC. I've not made such a switch,
>> but if you remember the steps you took, you can generally just reverse
>> them. That is, emerge openrc again, change the kernel line in GRUB to
>> point to regular init instead of systemd's init, reboot, and things
>> *should* fall into place.
>>
>> USB drives mounting as root sounds like a udev thing rather than a
>> systemd thing, and switching to OpenRC for your init won't fix it afaik.
>> For the devices that you need this behavior for, it might be worth
>> looking into writing some udev rules. You can get a start by consulting
>> `lsusb` output and Googling for 'udev rules' to get a wide variety of
>> guides for writing udev rules. Despite the recent changes to udev by the
>> systemd team, udev still functions mostly the same and most guides will
>> be accurate.
>>
>> I hope this helps!
>>
>> ~Daniel
>
> There are changes in USE.   -systemd +consolekit
> If you switched to a systemd profile, switch back.

I'm sure that unsetting the consolekit useflag (when I switched to systemd)
resulted in some non-MicroSoft behavior, e.g. I now need to authenticate as
root when plugging or ejecting a USB stick, and yet again when I poweroff or
reboot the machine

Being the only user of this machine, I could work up some outrage over this
new PITA -- but I've decided not to be outraged.  I pretend to be a sysadmin
and imagine how I would feel if an arbitrary user demanded the ability to
plug any arbitrary USB stick into his corporate workstation.

Well, I'm not a corporate sysadmin, and never will be, but I think I'd be
reluctant to let him do it.

Any official sysadmins out there have an infallible opinion to offer?