On 02/04/2014 04:10 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:27 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm sure that unsetting the consolekit useflag (when I switched to systemd)
>> resulted in some non-MicroSoft behavior, e.g. I now need to authenticate as
>> root when plugging or ejecting a USB stick, and yet again when I poweroff or
>> reboot the machine
>
> This does not happen with GNOME 3. At all. The only time I'm asked for
> my root password is when I add or remove a printer, and
> app-admin/system-config-printer-gnome has been doing this since the
> very beginning. I'm still hoping that someone fix that thing.
>
> With GNOME+systemd (and therefore, logind), the seat0 user gets
> ownership of all removable devices (except printers, see above), and
> the hardware buttons (poweroff, reset, suspend, etc.) No root password
> asked. Ever.
>
> You can see your seat with loginctl; if your seat is not seat0, that's
> why your password is being asked. If it's seat0, then something else
> is going on. Do you have pam_systemd.so enabled in /etc/pam.d?

I am seat0 (I forgot about loginctl, thanks) but I'm not sure what you
mean by "enabled in /etc/pam.d".  Many months ago I remember being confused
by the last line of system-auth:

#cat /etc/pam.d/system-auth
auth            required        pam_env.so
auth            sufficient      pam_ssh.so
auth            required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
auth            optional        pam_permit.so

account         required        pam_unix.so
account         optional        pam_permit.so

password        required        pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2
ocredit=2 retry=3
password        required        pam_unix.so try_first_pass use_authtok nullok
sha512 shadow
password        optional        pam_permit.so

session         optional        pam_ssh.so
session         required        pam_limits.so
session         required        pam_env.so
session         required        pam_unix.so
session         optional        pam_permit.so
-session        optional        pam_systemd.so

I don't understand the meaning of the '-' in the last line.  I didn't
put it there, except possibly by accident when falling asleep at the
keyboard :)