Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> [14-04-14 17:23]:
> On 14/04/2014 15:50, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 05:20:12AM +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote
> >
> >> was updated and I installed Linux 3.12.17 (vanilla) and recompiled
> >> the nvidia-drivers and finally the X11-modules, a really annoying
> >> thing happened:
> >>
> >> When a program uses the screen overlay technique (right word???) to
> >> display (mainly) videos (me-tv, flashplayer, Blender while rendering)
> >> ANY and everything on any desktop, which has a black background (mutt,
> >> urxvt to only name a few) displays the video even the video
> >> application runs on a different desktop.
> >>
> >> Handling the desktops then becomes a masterpieces of focus and
> >> counting.... ;)
> >>
> >> I am using openbox, nvidia-drivers, linux 3.12.17 vanilla, me-tv,
> >> flashplayer, blender (daily build taken from blenders buildbot).
> >>
> >> What can I do to get rid of this effect?
> >
> >   This seems to be a common problem with nvidia video cards using the
> > nvidia binary blobs.  I ran into it some time ago.  If you don't want to
> > get rid of the nvidia card, try the Nouveau open-source drivers.  You
> > won't get all the acceleration that the Nvidia binaries provide, but at
> > least you probably won't get the problems you have now.
> >

> +1 to this
>
> The nvidia blobs do work well as long as you use them the way they were
> intended to be used.
>
> The way they were intended to be used is the same way Windows uses them,
> the Linux and Windows drivers share the bulk of the internal code and
> Linux feature set most definitely is not the driving force here :-)
>
> Which means some awesome things the X server can do simply do not work
> with the blob. The blob also rips out most of the OpenGL and framebuffer
> code and replaces it with it's own mysterious black magic, this can add
> more wrinkles.
>
> And finally, the Nvidia blob is not at all integrated with the kernel in
> any meaningful way, so your running kernel usually ends up 2-4 versions
> behind current.
>

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan.mckin...@gmail.com

Hi,

thanks for the advice. Sine Blender is heavily using CUDA and the
nvidia card to render (cycles), I have to use nvidia-drivers,
nvidia-settings and the nvidia-cuda-toolkit.

So I want to step back one release of the drivers, because that had
worked fine for me.

Older ebuilds fo nvidia-drivers are provided...but why all older
ebuilds except for the newest one of nvidia-settings and
nvidia-cuda-toolkit are wiped off my harddisc as soon I have upgraded
to a (for me) not wirking nvidia-driver-ebuild?

Any chance to go back or ma I urged to live with described
"""features""" or to quit blender and use the noveau-drivers?

Best regards,
mcc