On Apr 15, 2014, at 18:59, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> [14-04-15 17:33]:

>>> Would I be wrong to deduce from this that I would be better off with Radeon
>>> cards instead of moving to NVidia?  Out of coincidence I have been using
>>> Radeon for ever it seems and I have had no problem that I recall with the
>>> free
>>> radeon drivers.  No need to align suitable kernel versions with new video
>>> card
>>> drivers, or skip any driver versions, or much else.  The only thing that I
>>> had
>>> to think about was how to sort out suitable firmware, but even this was
>>> relatively easy.
>>>
>>> Many people slate Radeon cards and this had me thinking that I should
>>> consciously make an effort to buy NVidia, but I am not as sure at this
>>> moment
>>> in time that this would not bring more problems than its worth?
>>

>> Would you be better off with a Toyota or a Nissan? Same answer:
>>
>> I don't see much difference. Both work, both have free and blob drivers,
>> both are better at some things and worse at others. I really don't see
>> any clear cut reason to choose one over the other for the general case.
>> Never mind that some people will not touch one or the other with a barge
>> pole no matter how much you pay them, I think they just have human bias.
>>
>> I've used both over the years, with free and blob drivers, and they
>> always did what I need them to do - display a desktop and play movies.
>>
>> There will always be cases where some specific range of GPU and/or
>> drivers just isn't up to snuff but I don't think that applies overall.
>>
>> You should go with the option that maximizes your own personal warm and
>> fuzzy feelings :-)
>>

>> --
>> Alan McKinnon
>> alan.mckin...@gmail.com
>>

> To exegrate the whole discussion:
>
> "Help! I have a problem with Linux!"
>
> "...I have some heard of Linux...bad things...use windows instead!"
>
> So: Due to the already mentioned reasons I cannot use other hardware/
> other software. I need to get THIS running.
>
> Next question: How can I downgrade to the previous version of
> nvidia-drivers/nvidia-settings/nvidia-cude-toolkit, which works
> nice for me?

To go a little bit more off-topic... Has anyone setup a 3D display with NVidia
GPU using HDMI?

I have a new projector which supports the frame packing with full resolution 3D
1080p-signal. I have the modelines configured for all the formats I need. If I
just force X to use a modeline 2205p the projector does obviously not
recognize, cuz the signal does not specify the 3D-mode it is using... as
described in the standard freely available to download for everybody.

So has anyone got this working? Does it need a specific version of
NVidia-drivers or firmware or hardware?

--
-Matti