Am 22.05.2014 18:12, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
> I'm working on this btrfs malarkey and have a question about best
> practice. It is recommended to leave the root volume empty and
> create a subvolume for the root filesystem which is set with btrfs
> subvolume set-default, which I have done.

Alternative: mount the subvol via option "subvolid" etc in fstab .... if
you plan to mount different snapshots, for example.

> What is the recommended way to create subvolumes that are mounted
> further down the filesystem? Let's say I was usr and var on their
> own subvolumes. Do I create them in the btrfs root, which means
> they have to be mounted from /etc/fstab - or do I create hem below
> the subvolume called root?

I saw more examples mounting every dir via a
separate line in fstab (which also adds the choice to mount them with
different options, think compression etc).

My understanding is:

* create and use subvols for entities you want to be able to snapshot
and rollback individually.

* create and use subvols for entities you want to apply special
options to: compression, (no)COW, quota ...

I would mount each subvol via extra line and create them in parallel ...

> That raises another question. Assuming I've done it wrong (well, my
> wife always does) is there an equivalent to the zfs rename command
> to move or rename a subvolume?

As far as I understand you are allowed to mount the root volume (or
academic: any subvol in a higher level) and use plain "mv" to rename
the subvols as if you renamed sub-dirs.

Stefan